Sunday, April 24, 2011

Five Word Challenges

Somehow on this here internet-thingy I came across a blog devoted to a bowl of random words. You are given five words, they come from slips of paper placed inside a quite pleasant ceramic bowl and pulled forth at random.  The challenge is to then write a poem using all five words.  (In the same order as they've been pulled from the bowl?--not clear on this part.) I like this more than many other write-a-poem prompts lurking here and there these days.


The words in this case: hide, forgive, grasshopper, slip, smoke.


Forgive me,
I told the grasshopper,
who had been an old man,
but I feel I must hide here
with you in the grass, as I
have been an old man,
once upon a time, my strong teeth
yellow
and stained with smoke.

If, as I believe, the end times
are near, let's slip
quietly into the hemlock forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment