Monday, September 12, 2011

Someone Must've Told the Cicadas

There's a full moon tonight, and as I was walking home from seeing the movie Contagion (where you get to see Gwyneth Paltrow's skull cut open in a quite disturbing autopsy scene) the cicadas on the streets on Lincoln Square were going insane with buzzing electric song; someone must have mentioned snow to them, or at least told them about the concept of falling leaves. The swifts, meanwhile, were snacking on gnats above a local garage, and dragonflies were quite pleased with themselves in the air over Leland Avenue.

I was quite pleased with the moon, although I had nothing to do with its waxing.  Polishing the moon, that would be a job. Another thing that pleased me today was standing at a street corner and suddenly thinking of barbershops and childhood memories of haircuts.  I glanced around and realized that 20 feet away stood my local barber, and the smell of talcum powder emanating from him had induced these sense-memories. The third pleasure of the day?  An arugula and nectarine salad with goat cheese and balsamic vinegar.


1 comment: